Identity theft is when your personal information is used without your knowledge or permission. Personal information can be accessed from your computer or at a cybercafé/public computer terminal.
Criminals can use your information with sufficient information of yours to do:
- Open bank accounts in your name
- Apply for credit cards or loans in your name
- Transfer money directly from your bank accounts
- Impersonate you online on social networking sites.
How do I avoid ID theft?
- Monitoring content – if you suspect your profile has been hacked, shut it down
- Using secure websites for online shopping and banking.
- Posting personal information – small pieces of personal data can be used to build a much bigger picture.
- Changing passwords – Passwords should be:
- Eight or more characters in length and include a combination of characters, numbers and symbols
- Change them regularly and never share them with anyone
- If the email asks you to click on a link, chances are that this is a scam.
- If you are in trouble, you should talk to your parents or a trusted adult