Trolling is when any user intentionally causes distress by posting inflammatory comments about someone else on a public forum. You can protect yourself from trolls by taking the following actions
- Ignore the troll Never respond to nasty, immature or offensive comments. Paying attention to trolls only gives them more power
- Block the troll Take away the power by blocking them. If they pop under a different name, block them again
- Report trolls Report trolls to site administrators. If they pop under another name, report them again. If they continue, contact the police
- Talk with family and friends If you are upset with a troll, talk about it with your friends and family. Always remember, it is not your fault it’s them.
- Protect your friends from trolls If trolls are upsetting to a friend, tell them to ignore, block and report. Tell their family, and encourage them to seek support.