You may come across material that makes you feel uncomfortable or upset when you are online
There are some simple things you can do to protect yourself:
- Talk to someone - Share with your parents or a trusted adult if you find anything disturbing
- Learn how to ‘Escape’—Hit control-alt-delete if the site does not allow you to exit.
- Understand that some sites are not meant for kids—If a website looks suspicious or has a warning page for people under 18 years, leave it straight away.
- Set your search engine to block material that is meant for adults.
- Ask your parents to install internet filter software to block bad sites.
- Ask your parents to help you find safe and fun sites to use and bookmark for later.